Going gluten-free can be very beneficial for your health especially if you are dealing with a gluten sensitivity or unexplained digestive health issues. Gluten is inflammatory and can be very hard on the gut lining which is why it is such a popular topic in the health and wellness field today.
If you want to start a gluten-free diet or are already eating gluten free, here are five must-have gluten-free pantry items to make cooking and meal prep that much easier.
- A Mix of Gluten-Free Flours: Making the switch to eating gluten-free can be a challenge at first especially if you don’t have healthy swaps available. By having a variety of gluten-free flours available you will find gluten-free baking to be so much easier and much less stressful.
- Rice Pasta: When going gluten-free, a lot of people miss their carbohydrates. Pasta can be a big one, and if you don’t have a gluten-free alternative it may be hard to stick to the plan at first. Luckily, gluten-free items have become increasingly more palatable and don’t taste as “cardboard-like” as they once did! You can now find brown rice pasta that tastes just as great as the gluten spaghetti you would find in stores.
- Nuts & Seeds: Instead of snacking on gluten containing crackers or snacks, stock your pantry with nuts and seeds. They are naturally gluten-free and pair well with fresh fruit for a healthy snack.
- Gluten-Free Rolled Oats: Breakfast can be hard when first starting a gluten-free diet. But, if you stock your pantry with some gluten-free rolled oats you can enjoy a hot bowl of oatmeal or homemade granola for breakfast instead. Add some nuts, seeds, and shredded coconut with a drizzle of pure maple syrup for a hearty and delicious breakfast.
- Gluten-Free Tortillas: Having some gluten-free tortillas on hand will make lunch time so much easier. You can still enjoy your wrap or sandwich for lunch but with a gluten-free tortilla instead. Try looking for ones made from coconut or cassava for a grain-free alternative as well.
If you are just starting a gluten-free diet, or you have been gluten free for quite some time, try stocking your pantry with these items to make meal prep healthier, easier, and more delicious!